Motivational Interviewing Trainings
We offer both in person and remote Motivational Interviewing (MI) trainings for Basic/Introductory MI, Advanced MI, and MI Refresher trainings. Please see the training schedule and Motivational Interviewing training descriptions below, and Save the Dates for the MI trainings that meet your needs.
These trainings are FREE and open to the public. BBS CEUs are available, and BRN CEUs are offered with advanced request. Registration is available in Placer Learns approximately 6-8 weeks prior to the training start date.
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
December 7-8, 2022 (remote) 8:30am-1:00pm both days
* February 8-9, 2023 (revised to in-person) 8:30am-4:30pmpm both days
* May 10-11 2023 (in-person) 8:30am-4:30pmpm both days
October 25-26, 2023 (remote) 8:30am-1:00pm both days
* December 6-7, 2023 (revised to in-person) 8:30am-4:30pmpm both days
- Advanced Motivational Interviewing (prerequisite: Basic MI)
* September 21-22, 2022 (in-person) 8:30am-4:30pm both days
* September 20-21, 2023 (in-person) 8:30am-4:30pm both days
- MI Refresher (prerequisite: Basic and Advanced MI)
October 26, 2022 (remote) 8:30am-1:00pm
November 1, 2023 (remote) 8:30am-1:00pm
*In-person trainings are subject to change to remote platform based on current public health guidelines.
** MI Refresher trainings are designed for those who have taken Basic and Advanced MI and want to hone their MI skills.
- Basic Motivational Interviewing (MI) is intended for a variety of different clinical professionals and non-clinical paraprofessionals, such as therapist, social workers, case managers, teachers, law enforcement, counselors, line staff and many more!
- Advanced Motivational Interviewing: Continuing the Journey is intended for participants who have completed the introductory course and have experience using Motivational Interviewing in an applied setting.
- MI Refresher: is a half-day “refresher” workshop is designed for individuals who have completed the introductory and advanced trainings in MI. The workshop will focus on a review of MI, participant practice with feedback, case consultation, and ideas for keeping MI learning alive. In addition, ample time will be devoted to questions and answers.
- MI Coding: This is a NEW offer for advanced MI practitioners to hone their skills. This is a trial offer available upon request, and space is limited. Participants will be asked to share a pre-recorded mock interview with the instructor to code. The instructor will then provide personalized feedback on how well the practitioner incorporates the MI principles into their practice.